We often use printers to print some important information or documents. These are hardware devices that work over a USB port. Sometimes it becomes difficult for us to use these devices.
And once you run into a problem with the printer, then you may end up fixing the issue for the whole day.
There are several reasons that the printer is printing half or a blank page. It is just a common issue faced by a lot of users. Here are some of the common causes why the printer prints half-page:
Why Printer Prints Half Page?
Whenever you are facing issues related to printing jobs such as wrong colour printing or incorrect page printing, then most of the time, the problem occurs because of the ink cartridges.
Moreover, the ink cartridge can print only half of the page or even leave the middle of the page blank for some printers, reported mainly by HP printer users.
Due to Windows Update
One of the most common reasons behind the half-page printing is the windows updates. The latest Windows update can cause the printer to print only half of the page or even leave the middle of the page blank.
If you are running on a Windows Beta update, then make sure to move to the stable version of Windows.
Windows Beta update is also known as the Windows Insider Program. And to roll back to the regular version of Windows, go to settings and then find Update & Security and click on it.
Now, you will see the Windows Insider Program, remove your account from the Dev channel. Now, check for the latest version of Windows if it is available, then download it. Now, you will be on the stable Windows version.
Uninstall Latest Windows Updates
- Go to settings and click on the Update & Security tab.
- Now go to ‘View update History.’
- Click on the Uninstall updates option.
- Find the problematic update and choose to uninstall.
- Now, restart your computer.
Sometimes even the latest version of Windows can cause such issues. But if the problem is occurring due to a Windows update, it will be fixed with the next update.
Due To Ink Cartridges
The printer is printing half a page because the ink tank may not have sufficient ink to print. To check this, you can check the ink cartridge physically or from the Software.
To check the cartridge:
- Launch the printer software.
- Check the estimated cartridge levels.
Or you can physically inspect the ink cartridge by looking at the ink tank. If the cartridge is low on ink, fill it up.
Check the ink Cartridge for expiry:
- If the ink level is enough, then check if the cartridge has expired.
- If it is expired, then the printer will not print the document correctly.
- Replace the ink cartridges with the new ones.
Due To Printer Driver
Check your printer’s official website for the latest drivers. If the driver is causing these issues, then reinstall them.
- Press Windows Key + R.
- Type Control and click OK.
- In the Control Panel, go to Hardware and Sound > Printers and Devices.
- Choose the printer and click on properties.
- Click on the “Driver” tab and click on remove.
- Now choose, Remove Driver Only.
- Now remove the drivers and restart the PC.
- Download the latest driver from the official website.
If the problem persists, then you have to altogether remove the drivers by following these steps:
- Click on the Windows button and find “Add or Remove Programs.”
- Select the Software of your printer.
- Click on Uninstall.
- Restart the computer.
Now you have to remove the old data from the Software.
- Press Windows Key + R.
- Click on OK, and a new window will pop up.
- Look for the folder named as your driver’s Software, such as “Canon,” and delete the folder.
- Now restart the PC again.
- And now you can reinstall the drivers for the best results.
Due To Printer Configuration
The half-page printing issue might be occurring due to the printer’s configuration. But there are sporadic cases for such problems.
In this case, you have to fix the printer’s configuration to fix the issue.
Now, you may not know the best configuration for your printer, so you can check out the official website of the printer or even the manual. Also, make sure to set the configuration according to the page size for best results.
Document Size Settings
If you are using a different size page, then there is the possibility that it may not show the best results. To fix this issue:
- Go settings and search for printers.
- Now go to properties.
- Choose the preferred paper size you want to use.
- Click OK, and close the tab.
Printing Apps Settings
If you are giving a print command from a mobile app, you need to check the settings.
- Make sure the app does not get disconnected while giving print commands.
- Check the app settings or preferences according to your use.
- Rely on a stable Wi-Fi connection.
If you are using the desktop app, then follow these steps:
- Make sure you have proper settings.
- Use default app settings if you are printing on A4 size.
- If you don’t know what you should change, then click on “Reset to Default.” And the settings will then reset.
Defective USB And Port
The other most common issue for the half or black page printing is the USB port.
- Make sure to check the USB connection by connecting a USB device such as a mouse or Pendrive.
- Use a different USB port for the printer.
- Make sure to check the USB port is not blocked by Windows Firewall.
Make sure Windows Firewall does not block the Printer app:
- Go to the Control Panel and click on System and Security.
- Click on Windows Defender Firewall.
- Here you can allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
- Scroll through the list of apps.
- If the app is unchecked, this means the app is blocked.
- If the app is blocked, unblock it by unchecking the checkbox and click OK.
Broken Wireless Connection
The broken wireless connection could be another reason for half-page or blank page printing. You have to make sure that you are using a stable connection while giving print commands.
Moreover, a poor connection can also create a lot of problems like this one. So make sure you have placed your printer at a good location where it conveniently gets a Wifi signal.
- Try connecting to the printer with a USB cable.
- Find another spot for the printer.
- Check the printer queue.
- Restart the printer.
- Make sure the drivers are updated.
- Make sure your mobile is on the right network.
- Reset the printer.
Skew detection can cause a half or blank page printing issue. If you don’t know about Skew detection, then let me inform you that it happens while the paper in the printer mechanism is not square and not aligned with the cartridge movement.
Here are some steps that you can try to fix Skew Detection:
- Remove the paper and put it back.
- Align the paper correctly with the cartridge.
- Remove the old pages and put in a new one.
- Make sure the paper is gripping on both sides.
- Plug the power cord after putting the paper in the printer.
- Restart the printer after putting in the paper and wait for 10-20 seconds.
Print Spooler Problem
You may get a “Print spooler service” error while installing printer drivers or giving print commands. To fix this error, try these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and open the Run dialogue box.
- Now type services.msc then hit enter.
- After that, double click on the “Printer Spooler” service from that list, and then change the startup type to “Automatic.”
- Restart the computer and printer.
- Now try to install the driver and try giving print commands.
If you are still facing the Print spooler service error or if the print spooler service keeps on stopping after the restart, then the problem will most likely be in your printer drivers.
You can try reinstalling the printer drivers from the official website. Make sure you download the correct drivers for your device.
Not Using Blank Sheets
Partial prints are a common issue with most traditional printers, and there are reasons for it to occur. Using sheets that already have something printed on it may cause a half print or even a blank print.
So make sure to use a clean and intact sheet of paper while giving print commands.
So this was all about Why Printer Prints Half Page and how you can fix it up. Hopefully, you will like our approach.
So, these are some major issues of a printer printing only half page. If your problem still didn’t solve after this you can contact us and put a comment below we will help you out.
Tanmoy Misra found his love for tech early in life when he got his first Nintendo (NES) console. He spent many hours blowing into cartridges to no avail until inspiration struck and he started taking apart and rebuilding anything that didn’t work. After dropping console gaming at the end of high school, Tanmoy entered the world of PC online gaming. His love of gaming and problem-solving soon led him to build his computers. As per expertise, he is an ISF-certified video calibrator and covering AV for a number of publications since 2018.