The laptop itself is a beast especially if you have a gaming laptop like Asus Tuf 15. But a laptop can be used for other purposes also. You can use it as a gaming monitor to play games on your PS4.
Let’s guess you have your PS4 but you don’t have any monitor or smart TV to connect and play but you have your laptop and you can use it as a monitor for PS4.
What is HDMI?
HDMI is one of the most popular high-definition transmission systems which is used to send high-quality Video and Audio.
The Audio and Video transmission provided transfer by the HDMI are maintained supreme quality which is provided by just a Single Connection.
People use it for both household AV applications as well as in commercial use. This cable is not used for specified works but people also use HDMI for connecting their Television, Blu-ray players, Playstations, and DVD players.
HDMI attains a wide use for transferring High-quality video and Audio. So, people can also connect their laptops to the monitor for PS4 with the help of HDMI which provides High-quality Audio and Video on the monitor.
Now, let’s discuss some most important features of HDMI cable below:-
- The data transfer range provided by the HDMI Cable is recognized as between 10.4 to 11.0 gigabits per second
- This cable helps to connect the high-quality audio and video from one device to another.
- One of the most precise features of HDMI cable is that HDMI cable will reduce the number of cables attached to your desktop or laptop to transfer video and audio. With the help of an HDMI cable, you can easily transfer audio and video with a single cable.
- This cable supports up to 8 different audio channels and they’re also available for future reference on different devices.
So, these are the major features of HDMI cables. HDMI is one of the most popular and commonly used cables for transferring high-quality video and audio from one to another device.
How To Use Laptop As Monitor For PS4
Wanna use a laptop as a monitor for PS4? Well, if yes and you’re confused about whether it is possible or not.
Let me tell you that “Yes” you can use a Laptop as a monitor for PS4. Let’s see the ways by which you can easily use a laptop as a monitor for PS4.
Via Remote Play
Remote play is a way by which you can easily experience the tremendous quality gaming experience of your PS4 on mac and windows. For computing this application you have required some essentials which are sludge below:-
- A Laptop,
- A High-quality USB adapter,
- An account on the PlayStation platform.
- An active internet speed.
Once all these instruments are arranged then you have to complete some easy steps which we discussed below:-
- Firstly, you have to download the application (Remote play application). You can download the Sony Remote Play application which is one of the most popular and best applications for Remote play. With the help of this application, you can stream your game on any display or laptop screen. Start your installer to complete the installation process of the application.
- At this step, you have to check whether either your PS4 is updated or not. The most recent update of PS4 is PS4 3.50, so check whether you have the updated version of PS4 otherwise update it first.
- Make sure that your PS4 is activated and the rest mode will be activated. You have to visit the settings of PS4 to connect to the Remote play application. Visit the settings option and select the option of remote play settings. Now, check if remote play is enabled or not. If not enabled then enable it.
- It’s time to activate the PS4 settings. You Just have to make sure that the PS4 should be available in Rest mode. So, on the PS4, ensure the network connection of the PS4.
- It’s time to complete the other settings like resolution, connectivity, and other configurations. So, enter into the remote play application and set all the settings as you required.
- Now, connect the wireless controller USB cable or DUALSHOCK 4. To connect them you just have to take the cable and press the circular main button on the PS4. Hold it for 3-4 seconds when it starts blinking. Connect the USB cable with your laptop and wait for some time. After some time it will automatically get connected.
- When it starts connecting, it finds the network of the PS4. Well, the network of PS4 will start to display on your screen then immediately connect it.
Once the device is connected with your PS4 then enjoy high-quality gaming in it.
If you have more than one PS4 working then you have to make one PS4 a primary console. To do this configuration, you need to visit the settings option and go to Playstation network settings.
Now, visit the option of account setting. Here, you can easily make the configuration of activating as primary or secondary. So, set it to the primary.
Via Video Capture Card
The video capture card is also a great way by which you can easily transfer audio and video and start your gaming by connecting your PS4 with the LCD, windows, or mac. Before starting the procedure let’s discuss the components which are used during the process.
- Video capture card
- File sharing settings are enabled in it.
- Activated internet speed is available whether it is from Wi-fi or Ethernet.
- HDMI cable for dual functioning.
Now, let’s discuss the details process so that you would know how you can run PS4 with the help of a video capturing card.
- Firstly, you have to check the connections. Enable the file sharing option by visiting the network settings. Also, enable the internet connection and connect your device. If you don’t have a system that ensures wireless connectivity then use an Ethernet cable to connect the device to the internet.
- At this step, you have to connect the video capture card to the Laptop or system which you’re going to use. Also, download the application which is with the Video capture card for proper connection.
- Now, connect the HDMI cable and PS4 to the capture card.
- Lastly, open the application and run your gaming. Make sure that the connectivity of all the cables with the capture card is good. Also, ensure that the screen is available in Screen mode.
After completing this process, you’re able to access your gaming on PS4 with the laptop or LCD.
Using PS Now To Play PS4 Games
PS Now is a cloud gaming service. This service is designed by SONY. The main purpose of this cloud gaming service is to provide access to the users so that they can play PS4 on different devices.
Yes, it assures superb quality but the overall quality of the gaming depends on the speed of the internet.
The best part of using a PS Now is that you don’t need any Physical PS4 or any console. Well, yes it can be quite expensive so you have to pay for this service.
Other PS4 Game Capturing Method
In the above content, we have discussed some most effective ways by which you can connect your PS4 to the laptop or monitor. There are some other PS4 Game Capturing methods available. Let’s discuss them.
Capture By Built-in Recording Function
If you’re engaged with Youtube streaming and making gameplay videos for connecting it with social media then the built-in receiving function will be the best option for you.
The PS4 game attains the feature of Recording by which you can easily record the gameplay and save it on your laptop.
You can easily start the recording of whatever game you wanna play and easily save it on your laptop by pressing the option of settings in it.
To complete this work you have to enter into the option of settings and after that click on the option of “Advanced Settings“.
Now, check whether it includes microphone audio in the broadcast and enable this option in it.
So, if you’re looking for a way by which you can play on a laptop screen with the help of an HDMI cable while having a video capture card then this will be an effective way to complete this work.
Capture With OBS Recording Software
The OBS recording system is also one of the ways which are also recognized as a professional one for getting advancement, and convenient features from the gameplay.
For completing this procedure, install PS4 remote play and try to connect with the PS4 system. Now, go to the add menu option and select the option of Window capture. Lastly, press ok for confirmation.
This function (OBS recording software with a built-in voice recording system) is also recognized as one of the most effective and efficient ways of enjoying high-quality games on your Laptop with an HDMI cable at a cheaper cost.
So, here we discussed all the ways by which you can easily use your laptop as a monitor to play games with the help of HDMI.
It’s time to have an eye on some related questions which clear all your concepts regarding this concept.
Q. What is Remote Play?
Remote play is recognized as a feature that is available in the SONY console (SONY Video game console) which allows the audio and video transfer from one device to another device.
This feature allows me different versions of PlayStation like PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and Playstation 4.
With the help of remote play, a user can easily play games on any other device with access to their Playstations.
Q. Does the PS4 run on a laptop smoothly?
Well, let’s tell you that you’re unable to play games on PS4 until you use your laptop as a monitor. To do this (Connecting your PS4 to the monitor), you’re required to have an HDMI cable or Video capture card.
Conclusively, we can say that you have to download the Playstation remote play option to get access to your PS4.
After having the Playstation remote play option and having a good quality will run your PS4 smoothly on your laptop (Don’t forget the importance of HDMI and Video capture card in it).
Q. Remote play or video capture card which method is best?
Well, this is a detailed question because whether it is Remote play or a video capture card provides a good quality experience while gaming.
Well, the overall outcome available from both types is quite similar but the price of the video capture card is justifying.
When we compare the quality of both the systems then we can see a small improvement while using the video capture card. They’re quite similar in performance and you can use any of them accordingly.
Q. How to connect a PS4 to a Windows 10 laptop?
Follow the procedure which is listed below to know how to connect a PS4 to a windows 10 laptop:-
- Firstly, open your web browser and navigate to this site https://remoteplay.dl.playstation.net/remoteplay/.
- Now, click on the windows PC or Mac.
- Get the installer file and follow all the instructions. Here, you just have to select the language and Accept the terms and conditions.
- Now, open the remote play option.
- At this step, connect the DualShock 4 and press the options button in it.
- Now, sign in to your PlayStation account and enter the details that are asked on the site.
- Enter a Passcode and proceed to confirm.
By completing all the above steps you can easily connect your PS4 to your windows.
Q. How do you know that your laptop has an HDMI input or output?
The HDMI input is scarce to find on your computer because of the right complexities. Laptops can only receive the input video through the motherboard.
Now, all the laptops have the output when this relates to the HDMI, VGA, and others. All the laptops don’t have the input HDMI but all the laptops have output HDMI.
So, here we discussed the ways by which you can access the gameplay on a monitor with the help of an HDMI cable.
We also discussed related questions to inform you more. I’m sure that now you know how you can use the monitor like a laptop for playing PS4 for gaming.
Tanmoy Misra found his love for tech early in life when he got his first Nintendo (NES) console. He spent many hours blowing into cartridges to no avail until inspiration struck and he started taking apart and rebuilding anything that didn’t work. After dropping console gaming at the end of high school, Tanmoy entered the world of PC online gaming. His love of gaming and problem-solving soon led him to build his computers. As per expertise, he is an ISF-certified video calibrator and covering AV for a number of publications since 2018.