I don’t see any genuine reason to use the laptop as a monitor for your desktop. Because monitors are made to perform their jobs perfectly and that’s why they are called MONITORS.
But what if you don’t have a monitor or your monitor has gone bad? And you have your laptop with you.
In this article, I am going to explain every detail on how to use a laptop as a monitor for your desktop PC.
How To Use A Laptop As A Monitor For A Desktop PC
Using Miracast [For Windows Operating System]
Well, there are plenty of ways by which you can easily use a laptop as a monitor for a desktop PC.
You can use many inbuilt functions in windows or also use some 3rd party functions provided by the software.
Using Miracast is one of the inbuilt functions available in windows which lets your laptop as a monitor for a desktop PC.
Miracast is the inbuilt software that is available in the latest version of Windows. Let’s discuss the steps which you have to follow to use your laptop as a monitor for a desktop PC.
- Firstly, open your laptop and come to the home screen. Click on the option of the start menu. A menu will open on your screen. Here, you have to click on the option of settings.
- Select the System Icon which is available in the menu. After that, select the option of “Projecting to this PC”. This option is available in the left menu option. So, find it quickly and click on it.
- Here, you have to allow other objects into the project. So, you have to visit the drop-down list menu. Make this option “Available Everywhere”.
- Now, you can make any other configurations that are required. So, you can change settings as you want and save them. Come back to your home screen.
Now, you have to follow some more steps to the monitor which allows your monitor to get connected as a main monitor in the desktop PC.
- Firstly, open your taskbar and click on the notification icon.
- Select the option of “Connect”. This option is available in the notification windows.
- Here, your computer will start searching for the device to get connected. You have done the settings on your laptop in the above steps. So, the laptop name will start appearing in the computer connectivity option. Once the name of your laptop is available in the connecting window click on it and connect it.
- So, accept the connection request, look at your laptop, and let your laptop get connected with your monitor.
- Select the “display settings”. Once you visit the display settings then visit the display menu and make a change in settings.
- Turn the “Multiple settings” option to the “Extend desktop to this display”
Hence, the work is done and now your laptop is connected as a monitor for a desktop PC.
Using a Third-Party Tool
Using a 3rd party tool is also an option that you can use for connecting your laptop to your monitor.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the above-discussed method and looking for another option then this will be better for you.
Let’s see the steps below to know how you can connect your laptop as a monitor with the help of any third-party application.
To complete this method you have to search for a high-quality tool (Third-party tool) that you can use for the execution of the laptop into the monitor for a desktop PC.
We’re using SpaceDesk software which is recognized as one of the most effective and reputed software.
For the Primary PC you’re required to have SpaceDesk Drive software and for a secondary device Spacedesk Viewer software.
Before discussing the process, we must discuss the tools or objects which are required for the whole process.
For Primary PC
For primary PC you’re required WDDM 2.6/2.5/2.4/2.3/2.2/2.1/2.0/1.3/1.2/1.1, and
DirectX 12/11/10/9 with Windows 10 (version 1607 – later only), 8.1 & 7, and Graphics adapter NVIDIA/AMD/Intel/Basic Display.
For Secondary Memory
In the case of secondary memory, you’re required Windows 10 / 8.1 / 7,
DirectX WARP (Min. 800 MHz CPU / Min. 512MB RAM), and DirectX 10.
So, it’s time to discuss the steps which you have to follow to connect both devices successfully.
- Firstly, you have to download and install the Spacedesk which is mentioned (Mentioned in Note:- 1). Once the application is installed then open the application on both devices.
- Make sure that you’re installing the right application on the right device. When you open the application then it will automatically detect the paired device.
- Ensure that both the devices are connected to the LAN and Wi-fi network.
- Now, go to the laptop and launch the application.
- The system will detect your primary computer and the name of your primary computer will start showing on the desktop. So, click on it and connect to it.
- Once your device is connected then you’re on.
Hence, your laptop is connected to the desktop and can be used as a monitor.
Remotely Connecting To Your Desktop From Your Laptop
If you wanna remotely connect to your desktop for your laptop then follow the steps are listed below:-
- Firstly, you have to visit the official website of teamviewer.us. On this website, you have to download the Teamviewer application on your laptop as well as on your desktop.
- After the completion of your download process, start the installation process on both your desktop.
- Create and grab your Teamviewer ID on your computer.
- At this step, open your laptop and open the connectivity window in it. Here, type the computer ID which you have and click to connect it.
- Here, you also have to enter the desktop password which you set. So, enter it for verification and connect both the devices.
Hence, the process is done and your laptop is connected to your laptop. After the completion of the process.
You can control your desktop directly from your laptop and can easily view everything which is done on your desktop screen.
Streaming Games To Your Laptop From Your Desktop
Streaming games to your laptop from your desktop is also one of the great ways by which you can easily play your favorite games at any time on your desktop.
Some laptops have older and weaker GPUs that don’t support the working of games. So, if you still wanna play those games which your laptop doesn’t support then you can do this by streaming games to your laptop with the help of a Gaming desktop.
Well, the drop in latency will be a drawback for streaming games on your laptop. So, if you’re playing competitive games then it’s going to be quite difficult to get the tremendous gameplay in it.
Still, if you wanna know the process which you have to complete for streaming the laptop from your desktop then see the steps below:-
- Firstly, open the stream option on both the device like your desktop and your laptop.
- Now, come back to your laptop and find the game which you wanna stream in your library.
- Don’t click on play, drop down the list and make a click on it. “Play” and later click on”Stream from”.
- Lastly, select the option of “Stream”.
Hence, the work is done and now your laptop is ready to stream your game. So, connect your computer to the laptop and start streaming your game.
Benefits of Using a Secondary Screen
In the above discussion, we’ve discussed how you can connect your laptop as a monitor for a desktop.
A question must arise as to why it is needed? And why do programmers do this? So, let’s find out the answer to this query with the help of discussing the benefits of using a secondary screen.
- Multiple programs
With the help of using a secondary screen, you can perform multiple tasks at the same time. This is not only related to gaming but is also helpful for official work.
Let us know with an example:- Suppose you’re a content writer, working on content then you’re required to switch between multiple chrome tabs.
And you also wanna see your email simultaneously. So, with the help of multiple screens, you can easily open your chrome tab and email simultaneously.
- Productivity enhancement
Whatever you’re doing whether you’re a gamer or a professional, with the use of multiple screen establishments, you can easily enhance your work effectiveness.
This directly enhances the productivity in your work and enhances the effectiveness too.
- Multitasking scenario
This will generate a multi-tasking scenario. If you’re a digital marketer then you’re required to monitor, execute, and apply various configurations at the same time. With the help of multiple screens, you can easily do your work.
So, these benefits will enhance the requirement of using multiple screens. I’m sure that now you got the idea of having the requirement of multiple screens in the work.
Can You Use Your Laptop As a Monitor For Your Desktop PC With HDMI?
Well, if you have this query then the clear answer to this question is “No”. We know that you’re expecting some solution but let us tell you that you can’t use your laptop as a monitor for your desktop PC with HDMI.
If you wanna connect your laptops as a monitor then you’re required to have capture devices and magic boxes that let your laptop connect as a monitor.
So, it is clear that you’re unable to connect your laptop as a monitor with the help of HDMI.
If you wanna connect your laptop as a monitor then see the above ways by which you can do this work easily.
With the help of an HDMI cable, it is not possible at all. So, it’s better to get references from the above-discussed ways by which you can connect your laptop as a monitor.
Can You Use Your Laptop As The Primary Monitor For Your CPU?
Well, the answer to this query is “Yes” but under a condition. If you wanna use your laptop as a primary monitor for your CPU then it is required that you’re using a system that has Windows 10.
By selecting the option of “Project to this PC” you can easily connect your Windows 10 laptop as a primary monitor for your CPU.
Let’s see the steps which you have to follow to complete to connect your monitor as the primary monitor for your CPU:-
- Firstly, visit the option Action center.
- Now, click on the option of connect.
- It’s time to select the option of “Project to this PC”
Hence, your device is connected. Make sure that you’re doing this process on Windows 10 devices. Yes, it is also true that you’re also required to use other peripherals for the computer.