Printing from an iPhone or iPad is not a very difficult task. You just need to know the printing process correctly.
In this article, I will take you through six different processes by which you can print from your iPhone or iPad.
From your iPhone or iPad, you can wirelessly print by AirPrint (the best), by email, by third party software, by the printer’s official app, and by Bluetooth.
However, I also have an article on how to print from an Android phone or tab if you like to read you can.
How to Print From iPhone Or iPad To Wired Printer?
If your printer doesn’t come with the AirPrint feature or wireless printing, the last option you have is printing with a wired connection.
USB printing is not possible with iPhone or iPad. However, there is a way by which wired printing can be made possible.
You will need a USB OTG that supports data exchange over a lighting port connection.
There are very few OTG adaptors available in the market, so make sure to choose the right one.
You have to check if the OTG adaptor supports Data Synchronization or not, and if it supports it then, you are good to go.
Connecting to iPhone or iPad:
- Turn on the printer.
- Connect one end of the OTG adaptor to the printer’s USB cord and the other end to your iPhone or iPad.
- You should see a pop-up on your iPhone or iPad screen which tells you about the connection and asks you if you want to connect to the USB or not just tap OK.
That’s it. Your iPhone or iPad is successfully connected to the printer.
USB Printing with iPhone or iPad:
- Go to your iPhone or iPad and navigate to the file you want to print.
- Select the file, and you should see an option to share the file.
- In the share menu, you have to select the “Print” option.
- On the next page, you will see the printer’s name connected to your iPhone, just select it from the list.
- Choose the printing configuration according to your requirement and then click on Print. The file will be printed.
How to Print From iPhone To Wireless Printer
Wireless printing with the iPhone is effortless to use. There are various ways to print a photo, document, or file wireless with an iPhone.
The most popular among them all is AirPrint. The AirPrint lets you print high-quality graphics and documents without installing complicated drivers into your computer.
Best Way- AirPrint
The first and most important way to print wirelessly with an iPhone is via AirPrint.
Here is how to print using Apple AirPrint:
Connecting Printer & iPhone to the Wi-Fi network:
- Connect your iPhone or iPad with the Wi-Fi network of your printer. You have to create the Wi-Fi network from the printer by following the steps given below.
- Go to your printer and turn it on.
- From the printer’s control panel, click on the setup or settings icon.
- Find out the “Network Setup” option by scrolling down and open it up.
- Click on Wireless Menu>>Wireless Direct Settings>> Wireless Direct On/Off>>On. The direct wireless option will be enabled.
- After that, go back and click on Wireless Direct Name, and you should see the name of your printer on display.
- When you search from your iPhone or iPad, this is the Wi-Fi network’s name with which you have to connect your iPhone or iPad. Additionally, (for HP Printers) you can change the name if you want by connecting the printer to a wireless network and then using the HP Embedded Web Server (EWS).
- After that, click OK, click on Wireless Direct Mode, and then click on Print Only to print from your iPhone.
Printing from iPhone using AirPrint: Now, when you have successfully connected your iPhone to the Printer network. Here is how to print:
- Select the document, PDF, photo, or webpage you want to print.
- Tap on the share button and swipe down. Again, tap on Print.
- Choose the printer you are connected with, and on this page, you can change the settings according to your needs. For instance, you can choose how many copies you want to print, choose to print in Black and White, and other such options.
- After that, click on Print in the top right, and the file should be printed.
Print By Using Email
Many printer brands offer email printing which is not new but probably one of the unique ways of printing.
HP offers the HP ePrint, whereas Epson offers Epson Email Print to print by using email. This option can be used when you are sitting anywhere in the world.
The Email Print option is not available on all printers. However, the most recent HP Printers has it along with the Epson Expression and Workforce series printers.
Let’s see how to print using email.
Connecting to Printer with Email Printing:
- When you activate the printer, it has assigned an email address with a series of random characters along with a domain name at the end. For the HP printer, the email address can be found in the control panel of your printer. Additionally, the email address is associated with your HP account.
- Make sure your printer is connected to Wi-Fi. However, your iPhone doesn’t have to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network in this process.
Email Printing with iPhone:
- Go to the email app on your iPhone. Compose an email, click on the attachment and attach the file you wish to print. If you type any text in the email body, it will also be printed on a separate page.
- Send the email to the printer’s email address.
- The file will be printed depending upon your internet speed.
If your printer doesn’t have an email printer and AirPrint support, then you can choose to print with some third-party apps.
The third-party apps are not as reliable as AirPrint or Email Printing.
However, third-party apps can come in handy when you print some urgent files or your boarding pass.
There are multiple apps on the iPhone App store, and you can choose to download any of them.
However, one of the most popular printing apps is Presto which is used worldwide.
The app has been downloaded millions of times and trusted by millions of users.
Moreover, the Presto app is compatible with almost all the printers that support wireless printing.
Connecting to Printer via Third-party apps:
- Go to the App Store and download the Presto app.
- Open the app and connect to the Wi-Fi network.
- Click on Printer and select the printer you wish to connect with.
- Now that the printer has finally connected, you can choose to print any file, photo, or document.
Printing via Third-party apps:
- To print a photo, navigate to the photo in the gallery.
- Tap on the Share button from the menu, click on Print.
- Now, choose the printer again.
- Next, choose the printing configuration like copies, printing colour, etc.
- After that, tap on print on the top right.
Brand Official Printing App
Similar to the third-party apps, you can download your printer’s official apps, which the manufacturer has developed.
You can download the app according to your printer brand. For instance, if you have an Epson printer, then you can download Epson iPrint.
For Brother printers, you can download iPrint&Scan, and so on.
Connecting to Printer using Brand Official App:
- Navigate to the App Store and download the brand app accordingly.
- Open the app and connect to the Wi-Fi network. Make sure the printer is also connected to the same Wi-Fi network. You can connect the printer by going into the control panel, finding Network and Connectivity, and connecting the printer with the Wi-Fi network by following the on-screen instructions.
- After that, come back to the iPhone app, click on Printer and select the printer you wish to connect with.
- Now that the printer has finally connected, you can choose to print any file, photo, or document.
Printing with iPhone using Official Brand App:
- You can print a file, document, or photo. To print a photo, navigate to the photo in the gallery.
- Click on the share button.
- From the menu, click on Print.
- And now choose the printer again.
- Select the printing settings and then tap on print on the top right on the next screen.
What About Google Cloud Print?
Google Cloud Print is decommissioned from its service from December 2020 as it is no longer necessary.
Google developed it especially for Chromebook users as they don’t have any native printing support.
But now modern printers come with all sorts of advanced and important features so there is no use in having Google Cloud Print.
The cloud service has served over 10 years and is no longer available from 1 January 2021.
Google Cloud Print is a great option to print any file or document from any corner of the world.
Additionally, the Google Cloud Print was capable of working as a fax machine for you, as your colleague or friend can send commands to your printer from a remote place or office.
Print From iPhone or iPad By Bluetooth
Bluetooth printing is the last option that you can use to print your essential document or files.
To use this feature, your printer should be Bluetooth enabled. Here is how to print with Bluetooth:
Connecting to Printer’s Bluetooth via iPhone:
- Go to the printer control panel and tap on Setup.
- Find Bluetooth from the menu and turn it on.
Some printers have a dedicated Bluetooth button on the control panel, which the press can turn on and hold for 3 to 5 seconds.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your iPhone by going into settings.
- You should see the printer’s name in the list of devices.
- Tap on the name, and your phone is connected to your printer.
Bluetooth Printing from iPhone:
- Navigate to the document you want to print.
- Click on share, and then choose Print.
- Choose the configurations according to your requirement.
- Finally, tap on Print on the top right, and the file will be printed.
1. Difference between AirPrint and WiFi Print?
Ans. Many users are confused between AirPrint and Wi-Fi Print. Please be informed that the AirPrint is a feature in Apple iPhones, iPads, and iPods, which works over a Wi-Fi connection with an AirPrint compatible printer.
However, a Wi-Fi print is a different feature that works with Android and Windows devices.
2. What are the AirPrint requirements?
Ans. You need an iPhone 3GS or later, iPad, 3rd generation iPods.
Moreover, it may require you to install the latest version of iOS for the compatible AirPrint firmware and drivers.
Additionally, the Apple iPhone supports a wide range of printers like Canon, HP, Samsung, Epson, Brother, and many other brands.
The AirPrint technology is the same for all iOS devices, whether you have an iPhone 5 or iPhone 13 Max Pro.
3. How to check if the device is AirPrint enabled?
Ans. There is no rocket science in finding the AirPrint enabled devices and smartphones.
You can check the “Apple’s AirPrint Supported Device Page” to see if your printer supports AirPrint or not.
4. What to do if “no AirPrint printers found”?
Ans. Sometimes, when you want to connect to the printer, the iPhone shows an error “No AirPrint Printers Found.”
This is a common problem in the Brother and other brand printers, and here is how to fix it.
- Make sure to check your printer settings. To check the printer settings in iPhone:
- You can check the printer setting when you are going to print a file.
- The settings page can be found when you tap on the Print option after selecting the file to print. The next page would be the printer settings page, where you can change the number of copies you need, Color or Black and White printer, and other such options.
- Besides that, there are no additional settings you can control.
- Make sure the iPhone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Make sure the printer is connected to the Wi-Fi network.
- Ensure that you have selected the correct settings for printing.
So, you know how to connect and print from your iPhone or iPad from your printer. There are several ways like AirPrint, Email, Third-Party app, Printer’s official app, Bluetooth.
I personally like the AirPrint way because it is easy and quick. I also like to know which one you like let me know in the comment below.
Tanmoy Misra found his love for tech early in life when he got his first Nintendo (NES) console. He spent many hours blowing into cartridges to no avail until inspiration struck and he started taking apart and rebuilding anything that didn’t work. After dropping console gaming at the end of high school, Tanmoy entered the world of PC online gaming. His love of gaming and problem-solving soon led him to build his computers. As per expertise, he is an ISF-certified video calibrator and covering AV for a number of publications since 2018.