Installing a new printer is not always a straightforward task. In most cases, you have to download the installation instructions from the company’s website and follow the instructions step-by-step.
Nowadays, most printers come with a CD containing all the necessary instructions to install the printer on your Windows-based computer.
But here’s the catch: your computer doesn’t support a CD, or the disc is corrupted with scratches.
However, I have provided simple ways for you to install your printer without using the printer’s CD.
If you have purchased a new printer and it arrived without a disc containing the drivers needed to install your printer, you can still install it without a CD.
There is a wide range of printers on the market, so the steps below will vary slightly depending on which printer you purchased.
- To begin, connect your printer via a USB to your computer system or device.
- If you have purchased a wireless printer, ensure that it is connected with your Wi-Fi router before connecting to your computer through a USB.
- Some printers do not have a USB cable connection option on the device, so you cannot directly connect them to your computer. To get around this problem, you have to install the software via downloading a file from the printer manufacturer’s website. This is because the driver allows the full functionality of the printer to be used on a more basic home PC.
- Connect the printer to a power source and press the power button to turn it on. After the printer is turned on, wait for a few minutes to have time after the first boot.
The computer will recognize the printer and will automatically begin the printer installation process.
However, if it doesn’t recognize the printer, you will have to add it to the printer’s list manually. So, from here follow process number 2.
Process 2: This process is simple and easy, but it doesn’t work for all printer, so we listed it on no. 2.
In this process, you don’t have to visit the printer’s official website. Instead, you can connect to the printer directly from the Windows settings. Here is how:
- To do this, click on the Windows button, and the search bar will appear.
- Type printers and scanners and select the first result from the searches.
- On the next page, you will see the option “Add a printer or scanner,” click on it.
- The computer will then scan the devices connected to your computer.
- Select the printer in the list of add a printer or scanner.
- Then follow the on-screen instruction to complete the installation. Different printers can have different instructions, so make sure you read the manual for that.
- That’s it. You are done.
If you don’t find the printer or if it doesn’t appear in the list. Then click the option of the printer that I want isn’t listed link.
And then go for the search option and follow the on-screen instruction. You may be required to download the software before that.
The process of accessing settings and connecting or configuring your printer will vary between each setup, so be sure to consult the setup instructions that come with your printer.
Note: Before investing time in printer installation you should make sure that the printer is compatible with Mac as all printers are compatible with Mac operating system.
You may need a USB adapter for the process as modern Mac computers don’t have classic USB ports.
They come with smaller USB-C ports. So, you may require a USB to USB-C adapter for connecting the USB to your Mac.
- Connect printer’s USB to Mac USB port available on the side for laptop and on the back for iMac (desktop). Use adapter if needed connect adapter to USB-C port of Mac and connect printers cable to the adapter.
- Turn the printer on by pressing the power button.
- Go for installation when promoted. Mac will identify the printer automatically. An update prompt will pop up on your Mac if you have never installed a printer.
- After that follow the on-screen installation process. And you will be able to use the printer.
For any reason, if your Mac computer doesn’t initiate an automatic installation process. Then you have to follow the following process.
- To install a printer in your Macbook, start by opening the “System Preferences program”.
- If you don’t see this option in the Apple menu, hold down the Option/Alt button, and it should appear.
- Select the ‘Print & Fax‘ option and click on the ‘+‘ button at the bottom of the screen.
- This will allow you to select your printer from a list and then continue to install it as you normally would (connecting cable and installing software etc.).
Driver or Software Installation
With each new Windows release, things can get confusing for driver installation, whether you’re trying to install it for the first time or reinstall an old printer.
If you have a new printer, you will have to install its driver to use it. It’s a fairly simple process and shouldn’t take more than a few minutes, but if you’d prefer not to do it yourself, here are the steps you could follow:
- Turn on the printer and connect it to the computer via USB.
- Click on the Start button and go to settings.
- Click on Devices and then select Printers & Scanners.
- To install the drivers, click on Add a Printer or Scanner.
- Select the printer which you have connected to the computer.
- The computer will automatically detect the printer’s model and brand, and then it will install the drivers automatically.
- However, if it doesn’t install the drivers automatically, you can visit your printer’s official website and download the drivers.
- For instance, you have an HP 1515 printer. Just search for “HP 1515 Drivers” on google.
- Open the official website from the search results and download the drivers.
- Install them and restart the computer once.
- After downloading the drivers, install them and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Finish the installation and restart your computer and printer, both.
- Your computer may ask you to connect to the printer during installation, so make sure you follow the process carefully. Otherwise, later your printer can create connection issues.
- If you are installing drivers for a Wi-Fi printer, you may need to scan the printer on the network. In this case, make sure to connect the printer and the computer to the same network.
- That’s it.
1. Are printers easy to install?
Yes, printers are one of the easiest devices to set up and install on your computer, whether installing them with CD or without CD.
Modern printers get automatically recognized in Windows 10 and Windows 11 computers. You just have to plug in the USB to your computer, and it will do the rest.
But for traditional printers, you have to manually install the printers, which can be done in a few simple steps.
2. Can you install a printer driver without a printer?
It depends. Some printers have Wi-Fi connectivity, whereas some have Wi-Fi and USB both.
In some cases, the printer does not require to connect to the PC for driver’s installation. However, in most cases, it requires establishing a connection to the computer.
Furthermore, some printers have both options. You can install their drivers with or without connecting them to your printer.
3. Can you use a printer without a computer?
Yes, printing without a computer is possible and can also be done with a smartphone or a tablet. Moreover, you can perform printer from a remote place if you have a smart printer.
But if you want to use the printer without a computer, your computer must have Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or other advanced connectivity options.
Moreover, you can also connect your computer to a smartphone via USB cable. For this, you will need an OTG adaptor.
More Printer Articles
How To Clean And Maintain A Printer (Inkjet And Laser)
How To Connect A Wireless Printer To A Computer Or Laptop (6 Easy Process)
Why Does Printer Keeps Jamming Every Time You Print? (Cause & Solution)
How To Uninstall And Reinstall Printer Drivers In Windows 10? (Full Guide)
Tanmoy Misra found his love for tech early in life when he got his first Nintendo (NES) console. He spent many hours blowing into cartridges to no avail until inspiration struck and he started taking apart and rebuilding anything that didn’t work. After dropping console gaming at the end of high school, Tanmoy entered the world of PC online gaming. His love of gaming and problem-solving soon led him to build his computers. As per expertise, he is an ISF-certified video calibrator and covering AV for a number of publications since 2018.