FPS is very important to get a smooth and maximum gaming experience. But it is common that no one gets the required FPS while gaming. Because you cannot get it automatically you need to take some action manually.
In this article, I have explained everything related to FPS and provided a detailed process on how to increase FPS in laptops or desktops.
What Is FPS?
FPS stands for Frames per second. The measurement of FPS is done with the unit Hertz. FPS is less to the change of frames which is executed on the screen per second.
We can also explain FPS as the rate by which the frequency of images are appearing on the display.
The rate of FPS decides how many images can be displayed on your screen. Let us know with an example:- Suppose your FPS Rate is 1 then it is noted that your screen can display only 1 image per second.
While gaming we need high frame rates so that we can observe frequent changes in the screen and fast experience.
So, if your frame rate is improvised then you’ll experience very frequent changes of images on your screen.
You can also check the framerate of your desktop by following some easy steps:-
- Firstly, you have to open your desktop and click to open your settings.
- Once your settings get opened then go to the option of System. Later, click on the option of Display.
- Now, find the option of Advanced display Settings, once you have clicked on the above option then a new display will open where you can easily see your FPS rate at your display.
What Is Low FPS?
Low FPS is a stage where your computer is not able to coordinate or support your game properly. This situation makes your gameplay struggles and choppy.
When we play any game whether it is a heavy or light game, our CPU, RAM, and GPU work together to provide the best gaming experience to it.
When the frame rate becomes slow then they both will get disturbed and their coordination quality becomes low. The user faces the consequences of this situation very badly.
A normal level game will easily operate under the 30 FPS which is also recognized as the minimum limit of FPS.
But, some of the games won’t accept any rate lower than 60 FPS. 60 FPS is also recognized as the ideal rate of FPS which supports the working of most of the games.
Yes, there are some higher frame rates also but reaching them is a complicated and costly process.
The higher frame rate like 120 FPS and 240 FPS requires a better management system, hardware, and higher refresh rate monitor of 144 Hz and 240 Hz respectively.
Why is your FPS so low?
First of all, let me clear that game lag and Low FPS both are caused by different reasons. Plenty of people think that a lower frame rate will lead to a game lag while playing.
The rate of FPS is not related to the network. The frame rate depends on the level of the game and computer.
This doesn’t show any direct relation between them. When your network is getting slow or poor your game starts lagging.
The reason for lagging is quite different from the reason for low FPS. Bad or poor network leads to game lag and the reasons for lower FPS are:-
- The Graphic card may be outdated.
- The CPU and RAM sources are outdated.
- The problem of low frame rate also occurs when you’ve some problem with your hard drive.
- If lots of applications are continuously running in the background then also the frame rate of your device may be lower than usual.
Why Do You Need To Increase FPS?
As we have discussed above a higher frame rate leads to more pictures changes per second.
This will enhance the better gaming experience and as a game lover, this is exactly what you want.
This makes your screen more natural so that you can experience good quality and smooth gaming in it.
The frame rate is also categorized in many different rates. Let’s discuss them.
- 30 FPS:- 30 FPS is a minimum rate of Frames that is available in low-end PCs and many other FPS console games. This is the most common rate of Frames per second. Low-quality games can easily be operated under this Frame Per Second (FPS).
- 60 FPS:- The rate of 60 FPS is recognized as the most ideal Frame rate which is used in the monitor. This is also recognized as the maximum frame rate of monitors and Televisions.
- 120 FPS:- Well, if you’re a gamer then this frame rate will work more than expected. It is a superb ranged FPS rate that requires heavy hardware to operate. You’re Not able to operate this frame rate on your regular monitor. It only operates on the monitor with a 144 Hz refresh rate.
- 240 FPS:- This frame rate is the limit of frame rate. This is the maximum frame rate which can only be operated by a 240 Hz refresh rate monitor. This also requires heavy hardware requirements and also takes a huge cost incomplete setup. But the gaming experience at this frame rate will be tremendous.
So, we can conclude that the increased frame rate is very important for experiencing better gaming performance in your device.
Well, the limit of the device also matters, so getting the ideal frame rate for your device is better than the struggle for getting a higher frame rate.
How To Increase FPS?
If you wanna enjoy good quality gameplay then you must be maintaining a good FPS rate on your desktop.
If you’re a newbie and looking for ways so that you can increase your Frame rate effective then see the ways which are listed below:-
By updating drivers you can increase your FPS. See the steps below to know-how:-
- Firstly, you have to open a run window by clicking on the option of Windows+R.
- A pop-up will be available on your screen. Here you just have to type dxdiag and press the enter button.
- Now, select the display tab on the available page of your desktop.
- You’ll get the name of your driver and once you get its name (like Intel, Nvidia, ATI, etc.) then you can easily update it.
- So, download the most updated version of your process which is bug-free.
Once the update is downloaded then use the DriveFix application and install the update easily.
Adjust For Best Performance
Adjust your Device for getting the best performance with the help of the given steps below:-
- Firstly, you have to open your Control Panel.
- Now, go to System.
- A new page will open on your screen. Here you have to select the option of Advanced system settings.
- A new page will open where you have to select the option Advanced and visit the Performance section.
- Click on the option of settings.
- Now, find the option of Adjust for best performance and open it. Now, open the control panel and select the option of Power Settings/options.
- Lastly, select the option of Best/High performance and click to proceed.
Scan For Malware
Sometimes this happens that the performance of FPS is reduced due to heavy malware presented in the system. This not only affects the game but also affects the available data in the system.
The best possible solution for this problem is to select an anti-malware program on your desktop. This will help to detect and erase all the collected malware from your device.
You just have to make sure that you’re using reputable and genuine anti-malware programs on your desktop.
I am using McAfee and Avast anti-malware software on my two laptops the software not only gives me full protection but also speeds up my process. If you like you can also take it a try.
Close Background Processes And Resources Consuming Programs
One of the biggest problems so that your FPS gets slow can be the excess amount of applications running in your background. So, closing them will also be a solution for getting a good performance FPS for you.
- Firstly, make a right-click on the taskbar and select the option of the Task Manager.
- The list of all the applications which are running in the background is available on the screen. You can easily close the background options which are running in the background.
If the available applications are useless for you then it’s better to uninstall them.
Lower Your Resolution
Lowering the resolution is also a solution that indirectly increases the FPS performance. Well, it is not a complete fact or tested work which works but it is also an option that can be tried to get the results.
Lowering the resolution will reduce the load on the graphic card and CPU. This makes the game more stable and the rate of FPS will also get improved.
Another best way to deal with this situation is to set the rate of desired FPS limit like at 30 FPS and 60 FPS.
Turn on Game Mode
Turning on the game mode is also an option for dealing with better FPS performance. Let’s see how:-
- Firstly, click on the Start option, and after that select the option of Settings.
- Click on the option of Gaming.
- Now, go to the option of Game Mode.
- Turn on the option and come back to your home screen.
This is also an effective way to deal with better FPS performance. Game mode will optimize the scenario of the desktop for the game accordingly. This leads to better FPS and better gaming performance.
Configure Vertical Sync
This option leads to the selection of 2 types of technologies on your desktop which provides the feature of matching the refresh rate at the FPS Level of your desktop.
The name of the technologies is G-sync (presented by Nvidia) and RADEON Free sync (Presented by AMD).
These programs will manage the level of FPS and refresh rate according to the performance of your desktop. This will help to provide you with the best quality experience easily.
Check Disk For error
Follow the below options to know how to check the disk for errors:-
- Firstly, select the option of Command Prompt as the administrator.
- A new page will start displaying on your screen. You just have to provide the command of chkdsk C: /f and select Enter to confirm the command.
- Your display will show the results. If you’re using Windows 7.1 and Windows 8 then go to the hard drive and make a right-click on it.
- Select the option of properties and later select the option of Tools.
Lastly, click on the option of “Error-checking section” and press to check the error in the option.
Install Razer Cortex
Razer Cortex is a third-party application that is designed for providing better gaming facilities and impressive gameplay on the desktop.
This application is very impressive which deals with background running applications and other causes which may reduce the gaming performance and provide the best in class performance in gaming.
If you wanna install Razer Cortex then pass through from this link https://www2.razerzone.com/cortex/boost.
The use of this application is also impressive. When you start gaming then it starts working and when you stop gaming then it will let your desktop at the condition available before.
Delay Automatic Windows Update
Automatic Windows update is a very good thing that downloads all the recent updates available in the market.
The updated version will also have big fixes which makes the desktop more effective but downloading the update while gaming may reduce the gaming performance. And reduce FPS.
See the steps below to know the process of stopping the automatic windows update.
- Firstly, command Windows+I and later click on the option if Update & Security.
- Now, select the option of Windows Update which is available on the left side of the page.
- Now, select the Advanced option.
If you’re a real gamer then I know that you hate to face the appearance of the notification on the screen while gaming.
This also provides some extra load to the system and your screen gets disturbed. It is better to turn off the notifications. See the steps below:-
- Firstly, give command of Windows+I. This option will lead to opening the settings in your system.
- Click on the option of System and select the option of Focus Assist.
- Here, you can easily set your limit off the notification by selecting the option of “when I’m playing”.
- Hence, all the notifications will get turned off while you’re playing the game.
Change Mouse Settings
Windows 10 attains a pointer precise feature which enhances the speed of your mouse and cursor.
So, you’ll experience a faster and effective mouse operating feature on your desktop. See the steps below to know-how:-
- Given the command of Windows+I, a new screen will start displaying on your desktop. Select the option of Device which is available in the 2nd row.
- Now, select the option of mouse and later select the option of Additional mouse settings.
- Click on the pointer option and click on the option of enhancing the pointer.
- Click to confirm and come back to your home screen.
Remove Programs You Don’t Need
It happens many times that we have plenty of documents which we don’t need. This will reduce the level of FPS and also consume heavy RAM.
If you get rid of these types of applications then your FPS improves and you’ll experience effective gameplay.
You can download any third-party program like Avast that helps to identify the unwanted apps and programs on your desktop and delete them.
Change Your Games Graphics Settings
Setting the resolution in the graphic card is a type of setting which improves the resolution and FPS on the desktop.
But, some other settings can improve your FPS and gaming performance. Settings like Anti-aliasing, Related to Graphical Details, Draw distance, V sync, and Graphical Effect.
Execute the desired configuration in these sections. This will provide you with a better gaming experience in your gameplay.
Overclock Your Graphics Card
One of the major reasons for Low FPS is the struggling GPU. Well, people usually upgrade their Graphic cards for a better experience but I suggest you overlook your graphic card before.
Yes, heavy overlooking of the Graphic card may damage your device but up to 15% overlooking the graphic card will be safe for your device and improve your gaming experience.
Overclocking graphics cards is a serious matter. Only take action if you know how to do it perfectly otherwise don’t try it.
Upgrade Your GPU
Upgrading your Graphics card is also a way which improve your overall gameplay. You can upgrade your graphic card up to 4k with a graphic card of 4K resolution.
Well, you also need a 4K supportive monitor so that your graphic card will manage the FOS with it.
We suggest you upgrade your GPU at 1080p or 1440p which provides you a tremendous gameplay quality and is also available at a comparatively cheaper cost.
Upgrade Your HDD To An SSD
SSD states Solid State Drive which is recognized as a more effective tool as you’re to HDD for providing a better gaming experience into your desktop.
With the use of SSD, you’ll experience faster operations in gaming. So, shifting your HDD into SSD will also be an option for enhancing the FPS rate in the system.
Upgrade Your RAM
RAM is one of the most important components of your desktop. This is one of the 3 most important essences of gaming which are CPU, GPU, and RAM.
RAM plays an important role in every action done on your desktop. If your RAM is low then you may face lots of difficulties and problems while gaming.
To solve this problem, upgrade your RAM to a higher version. At least 16 GB of RAM is required for gaming on a desktop. If you have it then it’s good but if you don’t then you need to upgrade this.
Don’t Let Your Laptop Get Too Hot
When your laptop is getting hot then the system will start limiting the programs running to cool down the laptop.
In this case, if you take care of some measures in your laptop then it provides a positive effect on your gameplay indirectly.
- Make sure that the fans and vents of the laptop will be cleaned.
- Make sure to use the laptop on a smooth and flat surface.
- Use the power supply while using the laptop.
- A cooling pad is a great way to keep your laptop cool. You must see our test results on how important are cooling pads.
Clean Up Your Disk
Sometimes storage becomes an issue of poor performance of the desktop. In this case, you must clean up your disk and delete some large unimportant files from your device. See the steps below:-
- Firstly, press Windows + E to open the file explorer. Now, select the option of This PC which is unavailable in the left side panel.
- Go to the device and drive section and make a right-click on the drive if you want to clean the properties.
- A pop-up will appear where you have to select the option of Disk cleanup and click OK for final confirmation.
Defragment Your Hard Drive
When we add any file or program to your desktop then it comes with some unwanted files which are stored in the system randomly.
Defragment of your Hard Drive will be a great option to deal with this problem. This also improves the performance of your desktop.
Do not defragment if you are using SSD for storage. Defragmenting SSD will reduce its efficiency and performance.
Use in-game FPS Counter To Check Results
FPS counter will let you know the current FPS which your device is using for operations. If you’ve planted all the above methods and want to see the results the FPS counter will let you know.
There are many FPS counters available but I am using MSI Afterburner. It doesn’t only show FPS but also other metrics.
Let’s discuss some questions that clear all your doubts regarding FPS and other factors.
Q. What affects FPS most?
The largest contribution in the operation of FPS is provided by Graphic card and CPU so, FPS is highly affected by Graphic card and CPU.
Q. Do you need to limit FPS for better performance?
Well, it is a matter of choice and needs. If you’re playing a large game then limiting your frame rate will slow your gameplay comparatively.
Otherwise, you can place limits in your FPS which proves to your laptop battery and quick heating issues.
Q. Do all games need higher FPS?
No, plenty of games are running with superb quality at 30 FPS but when you go towards large-sized games then 60 FPS will be ideal for them. So, games are categorized under different categories which run on different FPS.
You just have to select the rate of FOS as per the requirement of the game and you’ll get tremendous gaming performance in it.
Tanmoy Misra found his love for tech early in life when he got his first Nintendo (NES) console. He spent many hours blowing into cartridges to no avail until inspiration struck and he started taking apart and rebuilding anything that didn’t work. After dropping console gaming at the end of high school, Tanmoy entered the world of PC online gaming. His love of gaming and problem-solving soon led him to build his computers. As per expertise, he is an ISF-certified video calibrator and covering AV for a number of publications since 2018.