Connecting your laptop wirelessly with a printer provides you with a clutter-free desk. Different printers require a different method to connect with a network printer.
Even the same brand printer doesn’t have the same step for setting up. This is why most people don’t put effort into going clutter-free with their printer.
Putting this in perspective today, we will discuss connecting network printers in both Mac and windows with step-wise instruction.
How to connect with a network printer?
How To Connect Your Printer To Home Network?
First, you need to connect your printer to the home network and you can do it via ethernet connection or connect it wirelessly.
Via Ethernet: To connect it via ethernet you simply need to connect the printer ethernet port to the open router or network switch port.
Connect Wirelessly: For a wireless connection, you need to use the display screen of the printer. You have to select wireless SSID (network name) and enter a secured password if it is secured.
But this process varies with the printer model and brand so first refer to the documentation of your printer for the perfect instructions.
If you don’t know which method your printer uses for the connection (Wi-Fi or Ethernet) then check your printer manual for information.
Whereas if you don’t have any home network for connection then skip this method and jump to the method Printer sharing (printer connection with another computer) and Connecting printer via Bluetooth.
How to connect the network printer with windows?
In this method, we will discuss how you can connect your network printer to the same local network connection.
In this method, we are using an updated version of Windows 10 so this will more likely work on windows 10 than other old versions of windows.
Follow the below steps to get started:
- Go to the start menu and then click on the setting menu.
- A new tab will open where you can configure all your settings on your computer or laptop.
- On the left hand, you will see various options to configure your laptop. Click on the printer and scanner option from the left sidebar.
- Now click on the add printer or scanner button from the setting. After this, it will show all the available printers on your computer or local network.
- Now to add your device, click on your printer model, and then there you will see add device button. Click on it.
In some cases, Windows may not recognize your printer from the local network.
In this case, what you can do is click on the “The printer that I wasn’t isn’t listed.”
Follow the instructions shown on the new tab and try to connect your printer with your laptop again.
If it doesn’t work, then what you can do is plug your printer on your PC using a cable this will force your device to recognize the printer.
Make a wire connection with your printer, and your laptop will save the printer.
If you have not installed the driver of your printer, make sure to connect it; otherwise, you can’t connect with your printer. You can get the driver from the official site of the printer.
All you need to do is search the model of your printer on the download section and download and install it.
After you install the driver on your PC, unplug the cable or try again if it is showing in your local network or not.
How to connect network printer in Mac?
Mac and Windows don’t need to follow the same step while connecting with a network printer.
The step we will discuss here is the instruction for macOS 10.15. Before you jump onto the below step, make sure to check if your laptop supports AirPrint or not. In addition to this, make sure to install the driver of your printer in your Mac.
- First of all, connect your printer to the network.
- After this, go to the Apple menu, and there you will see the System and preferences button. Click on it and then the Printers and Scanners button.
- If you have ever connected your printer to the laptop, you will see your printer. If it is not showing your printer, click on an add device button. It could take a couple of minutes before it finds your printer.
- After you find your device click on it and then click on add option. In some cases, Mac Might request installing new software for effective working. So, make sure to install that recommended software.
This is how you can connect your printer to a local network. This method should work in most cases if you have trouble connecting your printer to the network.
You can connect your printer using a USB cable, and then it will force Mac to recognize your device.
If you have a non-AirPrint enabled mac, you can make it available using third-party software.
Similarly, if it is not working even after using software, connect the printer using a USB cable and share your printer over the network. After this, other laptops on the network can access the printer.
How to share printer on network?
A printer can also be shared on the local network. Some printers don’t support wireless connections to the nearby device.
We can share the printer on the network, and after this, anyone can access the printer on the same network. Moreover, this feature is available in all the operating systems Linux, Mac, and windows.
How to share printer Between windows?
- First, you have to install the printer on a computer which you can turn on frequently. As whenever you want to print, the sharing computer needs to be on. Nearly all printers can be installed by simply plugging in via USB.
- After installation now click on the start button and then click on the setting.
- After you click on the setting button, a new tab will appear in your windows.
- On the left side of tab three are different options for configuring hardware devices in your PC.
- Click on the printer and scanner button, and after this, you will see all the connection printers on your laptop.
- Click on the printer which you want to share in your network. After this, click on the manage button.
- A new tab will appear, showing your printer model. Click on printer properties on the new tab.
- Again a new tab will appear in the windows. Click on sharing button from that new tab. On the sharing section, you will see a tick mark option to Share this printer. Click on the apply button and then click on okay.
How to access a printer on a local network?
- Click on the start button and then click on the setting.
- Click on the device button and then click on printer and scanner.
- If you have ever connected the same printer to your laptop, it will show on your list.
- Similarly, if you have never connected the printer to your laptop then click on add a printer or scanner button if you haven’t. It will search all the available printers on the network.
- Select the printer from the list. In some cases, the printer which wants to connect may not display on this new tab.
- Click on the “The printer that I want isn’t listed.”
- A new tab will appear on your screen. Here you will see a different option to tick mark. Click on the Select a shared printer by name button.
- Now enter the name of your shared printer and computer in the format “\\computername\printername” or “http://computername/printername/.printer”.
- Click on the Next button, click on the install driver button if asked, and click on the finish button.
How to share a printer Between Mac?
- Install the printer on a Mac computer which covers a lot of time powered on. As the computer needs to be powered on whenever you want to access the printer.
- After that go to the Apple menu of the computer on which the printer is installed.
- Click on System preference and then click on sharing.
- After this, you will see different types of sharing-related features, including printer sharing. Click on the printer sharing checkbox.
- Now click on the add button (+), which will let you choose who can use the printer and who cannot. Moreover, you can also limit the number of users who can access the printer.
How to access the shared printer using a mac?
- First of all, go to the Apple menu.
- Now click on the system and preferences, and then here you will see all the saved printers on your device. Click on the printer with which you want to connect.
- If the printer is not showing in the list, click on the add device function.
- After this, you have to wait a couple of minutes, and it will show all the available Macs on the computer.
How to connect the printer using Bluetooth?
The printer can be connected using both a local network and Bluetooth connection.
However, most people prefer the local network over Bluetooth as it can be accessed from a distance.
Moreover, both devices should be Bluetooth enabled to connect the printer using Bluetooth.
Nowadays, Bluetooth is available on every device so that you can connect with various devices, including printers.
How to connect the printer using Bluetooth on windows?
- First of all, make sure that your printer is Bluetooth pairing. If not, then read the information booklet of the printer.
- Now enable Bluetooth on your Windows computer.
- Click on the start button, and after this, click on the setting.
- Click on the device and printer, and after this, it will show all the available printers on your computer.
- Click on your printer, and your computer will be paired with the printer.
How to connect the printer using Bluetooth on Mac?
- First of all, turn on the Bluetooth in your printer and check if it is accessible by a nearby device or not.
- After this, go to the Apple menu and click on system preferences.
- After this, click on printer and scanner.
- Now you will see all the available printers on your Mac. Click on the printer to which you want to connect.
- If you didn’t see the printer, click on the add or plus buttons. After this, Mac will search all the available printers. This might take a couple of minutes, so have patience while doing it.
- After it displays your printer name and model, click on it and connect with that printer.
Most of us don’t know how to configure our printer to work wirelessly in Mac and windows.
However, before we configure our printer, there is something that we need to keep in mind.
First of all, make sure that you have installed the printer’s driver with which you want to connect.
Some devices may not support wireless printing, so make sure to check if your device supports it or not.
After this, you can easily connect your laptop with a network printer. I hope this article was helpful for you, and after reading this, you can easily connect with a network printer using any device.