Microsoft has recently rolled out its latest version of Windows OS in the market. Since October 2021, millions of people have upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 to their desktop computers and laptop.
This latest version of Windows has tons of new features compared to Windows 10.
Microsoft has also changed the control panel layout and has added more new support to the input and output device.
Here you can easily add any kind of input and output device, including a printer. It has features to add both wireless and wired home use printers.
There are a few changes that you will notice while adding the wired or best wireless printers.
Is Your Printer Compatible With Windows 11?
Absolutely yes, you can connect almost any kind of printer in Windows 11. Windows 11 even allows you to connect the printer wirelessly and by using a cable.
If you are planning to install the latest version of Windows, you are good to go. Don’t worry about printer compatibility; you can connect almost any printer brand and of any type (laser or ink tank) within a few steps.
How To Add A Local Printer To Windows 11?
In Windows 11, there are two different ways to add a local printer from any brand to the computer.
Automatic methods are suitable for beginner users who don’t have depth knowledge about the Windows control panel and settings.
Windows can automatically identify and connect the printer from your network or computer. Here is the stepwise instruction to add a printer automatically in Windows 11.
- Click on the control panel and then click on the gear button named setting.
- Once you click on the gear button, a new tab will appear on your screen. Here you can customize all your Windows settings.
- Navigate your mouse to Bluetooth and devices named icon. After this, click on the printer and Scanner icon under Bluetooth and devices tab.
- Now, you will see all the available printers on your laptop or desktop. Click on the printer which you want to connect to your computer.
- After this, click on an add device button.
- Wait for a couple of minutes; windows will automatically install all the needed files to connect the printer.
If the automatic method is not working on your device, I recommend you try the manual method.
In this method, you need to manually configure the setting to connect the printer. Here is the stepwise instruction to manually add a printer in Windows 11.
- Click on the start button and then click on the gear icon.
- Now click on Bluetooth and devices icon. After this, click on printers and scanner.
- In the printer and scanner section, you will see the add device option. Click on it.
- Now there you will see all the available printers on your device. Click on the printer which you want to connect to your device manually.
- Now click on add manually button. After you click on Add Manually button, you will see a different option to tick mars. Select the options that suit your needs and requirement, click on the Next button.
- In this new tab, you need to select the printer port. You will see various options, including USB, LPT, and COM ports. Once you choose the option, click on the Next button.
- Now in the next tab, it recommends you update windows or drivers. If you’ve already installed the drivers click on the Windows Update button.
- You need to wait a couple of minutes unless the printer is installed correctly in Windows 11.
How To Add A Wireless Printer In Windows 11?
- Navigate your mouse to the start button and click on the start button.
- Now click on the setting icon from the Start menu.
- Click on Bluetooth and device tab from the new tab.
- After this, click on the printer and scanner tab under the Bluetooth and device section.
- Click on Add device button on the right side of the printer.
- Wait for a minute; it will show all the accessible printers from your device.
- Click on the printer you want to connect, and it will automatically connect you with the printers.
- Open the windows settings.
- Click on printer and scanner and then click on Bluetooth and devices tab from the settings.
- Navigate the mouse to add the device button. Then, click on add manually button appearing just below the refresh button.
- A new tab will appear where you will see a range of options to connect a wireless printer to your device.
- You can search the printer using its name, IP address, Bluetooth, and other options.
- Select one option and then click on the Next button. It will start the searching process; once you find your printer, click on the add device button and click on the Next button.
- Once you find your printer, you will have no issue connecting to your device you can do it easily.
Add A New Printer Via The Control Panel
- Click on magnifying glass icon located at the taskbar.
- Now type the Control panel within the search bar and then the windows will search and display the control panel icon.
- Click on the control panel icon, and then here, you will see different icons of settings.
- Navigate your mouse to the hardware and sound icon if you don’t find this particular icon. You can search on the control panel.
- Once you find the Hardware and Sound option click on it. Now click on the devices and printer option.
- Now at this tab, click on add printer option.
- The computer will ask you to choose what type of printer you want to install in your local network.
- Click on the one option and click on the next option.
- It will search all the accessible printers and display the result on the screen.
- Click on the printer that you want to connect.
How To Set Default Printer In Windows 11?
Changing from one printer to another can be a tedious task as it consumes a lot of your time.
You can avoid this problem by creating a default printer on your computer. Almost all the Windows OS has this feature where you can set one particular printer as a default printer.
- Navigate your mouse to the magnifying glass and search the control panel.
- After opening the control panel tab, click on hardware and sound icons from the control tab.
- You will see the device and printer named icon inside the hardware and sound section.
- In the next tab, you will see all the available or accessible printers in the network.
- Navigate your mouse to the printer you want to make default, and then right-click on your mouse. After this, one small tab bar will appear on the screen.
There you will see an option to set that particular printer default.
How To Remove A Printer In Windows 11?
If there are lots of saved printers in the windows, it will be a little challenging to manage the printers on your computer. Therefore, we will discuss stepwise instructions to remove the printer from Windows.
- Click on the start button and open the setting menu.
- Now click Bluetooth and Devices from the left menu bar. Select printers and scanners to look at all the available printers on your computer.
- Click on the printer which you want to remove. After clicking on the printer there, you will see the remove button.
- Click on the remove button to remove that particular printer from your computer.
What To Do If Your Wireless Printer Isn’t Detected?
If you have been using a printer for a while, then I am sure you must have faced a printer detection issue on your computer.
Sometimes the windows may not recognize your printer which you are using for printing cardstock and won’t show the printer when you discover it.
To overcome this issue, here will talk about a stepwise solution to fix this issue from your windows.
- Open the control panel and then click on the network and Internet icon.
- After this, click on the network and sharing Centre icon appearing in the tab.
- Again a new tab will appear in your windows name Network and Sharing Center.
- On the left side of the tab, you will see Change Advanced Sharing Settings.
- Now on the new tab, enable the Network discovery options. Also, make sure to enable the Automatic setup of network-connected devices.
- Once you made these changes click on the save changes button.
After following these steps, if the problem persists, I recommend updating your windows and device driver from the computer.
What To Do If Windows 11 Can’t Find Local Printer?
Sometimes the windows may not recognize your local printer even if you have made the proper connection. If you are encountering this issue, follow the below discussed stepwise instruction.
- First of all, Turn off the machine.
- After this, remove the power cable of the printer.
- Now restart your computer and uninstall the existing printer device driver.
- Turn on your printer and connect it to your computer.
- Now reinstall the device driver of the printer.
- After this, Windows should recognize the printer in your computer.
- If the problem persists, you can call the printer service center to get support or fix the issue.
Related Articles: How To Share A Printer In Windows | How To Connect A Laptop For Wireless Printing | How To Connect A Wireless Printer To Mac | How To Install A New Printer Without Installation CD | Troubleshoot Printer Wireless Connection | See all articles