Printer errors are very ordinary but they are very disturbing especially when you are in a hurry. Canon printer error code 5B00 is an Ink Absorber Is Full.
What is Canon Error 5b00?
On Canon printers, Canon Error 5b00 is a typical error message. It commonly appears when the printer’s print head or ink cartridge is malfunctioning.
If this error message appears, it indicates your printer has found a problem with the print head or ink cartridge.
The issue could be minor, but it could also mean that your printer needs to be serviced or replaced.
For instance, if you receive this error notification after cleaning your print head, your print head will need to be replaced.
You should also check the waste ink counter to see if the issue still exists. Not only that, but you should attempt manually cleaning the waste ink pad.
However, if you have no idea what any of this means, you can look at the solutions described below.
Reset the Waste Ink Counter
Resetting the waste ink counter can fix the Canon printer error 5B00. An ink absorber that is full causes the Canon printer error 5B00.
Instead of changing the ink absorber, you can fix the problem by resetting the waste ink counter.
Although the technique varies based on the printer manufacturer, there are some common steps to follow:
- First of all, you have to remove the USB cables from the printer.
- After that, you have to make sure that you also unplug the power cord from the socket.
- Next, you have to open the access panel and open the cartridge door so that you can press the power button. You have to press the power button in order to reset the waste ink counter.
- Ensure you hold the power button for long as the waster ink counter needs to be reset.
- Once you see the LED lights blinking on the printer panel, you can release the button.
- You have to wait for the waste ink counter to reset. For this, the green power light needs to get off.
- Again, you have to press and release the power button. You have to do this process quickly and make sure you do it two times in a row.
- You will see the green light is on again and should flicker quite a few times and then should be steady.
- When the green light is finally steady, you can close the cartridge panel.
- Now, you can try taking some printouts and check if the issue still persists.
Manually Clean the Waste Ink Pad
The Canon Error 5b00 can also be solved by manually cleaning the waste ink pad. You have to do manual cleaning when you are sure that the waste ink pads have been saturated.
To make sure that the pads have been saturated, first, you should check the printer control panel, and there you should see an error message.
If you have an old model of Canon printer, then you might not be able to diagnose this issue.
For the old models, you have to check them directly by opening the access panel of the printer. Here is how to perform a manual cleaning for the waster ink pad:
- First, you have to open the access panel of your printer. Different models can have their access panels at different positions, but most of them have an access panel on the back of the machine. While some old models can also have the access panel on the first side.
- Make sure to disconnect the printer’s power cord and the USB cable before performing the manual cleaning to waste ink pads.
- You will see the row of the white roller, which will be visible at the back of the cartridge. You have to find a square that should appear like a foam pad.
- You have to remove the waste ink absorber, and you can do that by swiftly pulling the rubber mount.
- Now, you can easily clean the waste ink absorber with a paper towel.
- After the ink pads have been cleaned up, you have to pull them back off in the place.
- Make sure to place back the rubber mount and also close the printer’s access panel.
- Now, you have to reset the printer’s internal memory and to do that, you have to press the power button and, at the same time, reconnect the power cord to the socket so that printer can be turned on.
- While you see the printer is getting on, you may release the power button and wait for a few seconds. Press the button again, and the Canon printer should blink the LED lights. This means you have successfully reset the internal memory, and the Canon Error 5b00 has been fixed.
- Try to get some printouts and check if it is working or not.
Basic Troubleshooting Methods:
How to Start the Canon Service Mode?
When your printer stops functioning and won’t print anything, then you need to enter the service mode. If none of the procedures above has worked, you should put your printer into service mode.
Furthermore, if none of the methods has worked for you, you will need to take your printer to a service center to be repaired. But first, ensure sure your printer is set to Service mode.
Different models can have different ways to go into the Canon Service mode, but most of them use similar methods.
For instance, to go into the Canon Service Mode of a Canon DX series printer, you need to follow the process given below:
- First of all, make sure there is no job in the printing queue.
- Then, press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds, and you will see the lights blinking.
- Next, you have to press the zoom button five times, and then you will see that two lights have turned on on the printer’s control panel.
- When the 2 LEDs have turned on, this means that the printer has already been put into the Service mode.
- To make sure that your printer is in Service mode, connect your printer to the computer and check the printer status.
- If the printer status is showing offline, then the Service mode has been activated.
How to Check the Ink Level?
Since your Canon printer is throwing “Error 5b00”, you have to make sure that there is sufficient ink in the cartridge.
To check this, you have to check the ink level indicator, which will be available on the front side of your printer. If you own an old model, you might have to check this by opening the access panel of the printer.
You have to ensure that there is at least 50% ink in the tank. But if the ink is lower than the 50% mark, you may require to replace the ink cartridges.
How to Reset Canon Printer?
Resetting the Canon printer might be a solution for the Canon Error 5b00. To reset the Canon printer, you can follow these steps:
- First of all, take out the power cord from the printer.
- Also, take out all the USB cables.
- Switch off the printer completely.
- Wait for a few seconds and turn the printer back on by putting the power cord and USB cables.
- Wait for another few seconds as the printer will take a couple of seconds to start.
- When the printer is turned on, you shall see the green LED on the control panel.
- Now, you have to press and hold the Stop button until you see an orange light blinking on the control panel. The light should blink at least 5 times, and then you can release the button.
- The printer is now reset successfully.
Use Canon Service Tools Program
If you are still facing the same issue, then you need to factory reset the printer. You need to download and run the Canon Service Tools program.
- Download and install the Canon Service Tools Program.
- Run the program and click on EEPROM.
- Click on the EEPROM Status.
- A new popup will appear on the screen. In the drop-down menu, the Rear Tray option must be selected by default, and you have to leave that option as it is and click on OK.
- Now, you shall see a notification “A function was finished” on your screen.
- Now, you have to reset the Canon printer and to do that, you have to choose the “Main” option on the check ink counter section.
- The printer reset will take place.
- Since the printer is resetting automatically, you may see the LED lights blinking multiple times.
- After the reset is finished, click on “EEPROM Status” it will take some time and will be finished when you see the power LED stop blinking.
- Next, you should see the Pro option on the screen. Click on it and then choose the Date option to save the “EEPROM Save.”
- That’s it.
You can check it by running the program, and the EEPROM must be turned into 0%. The EEPROM was D = 100% before the reset, so but after the reset, it has become D = 000.0%, and this means that the printer has been successfully reset.
You may need to restart your printer one more time. Moreover, make sure to reinstall the Canon printer drivers on your computer or laptop.
Here we conclude our article Canon Printer Error Code 5B00: internal processing error. Hope this article is enough to solve your problems if you have any questions you can ask me in the comment section.