If you are not able to open PDF files in Windows or Windows 10 update then the article will help you to solve your problem.
Many users have faced this problem after Windows 10 updates. But don’t worry the solution is very easy to follow. So, let’s get into it.
Why is the PDF not opening in Windows 10?
Plenty of people are facing this problem that the files start creating problems in the opening after the windows 10 update.
Majorly this issue arises with the Acrobat and Adobe installation and update. Now, let’s discuss some of the main reasons which lead to creating the problem so that the PDF is not open Windows 10.
- If the version of Adobe and Acrobat is old, you may show this problem after Windows 10.
- If the PDF files are not created by using Adobe programs.
- People may face these problems if the PDF file is damaged.
- The Adobe and Acrobat reader will get damaged.
- If PDF files come with any malicious data.
After consulting the reasons behind the PDF opening problem in Windows 10 after the update, we’re going to proceed to find the best solutions to recover from these problems.
By Checking the settings of Adobe Reader
Sometimes PDFs don’t open on the desktop because of the old settings of Adobe Reader which are customized for Windows 7.
The interface of both versions of Windows is quite different in this respect. You should change some settings in Adobe Reader so that it will easily work on your Desktop.
See the steps below to know-how:-
- Firstly, you just have to click on the search icon.
- In the search bar, type the name of “Reader” and hit enter.
- Once the application gets open then you have to find the option of Menu. Click on it and find the option of Edit. Make a click on it and proceed to next.
- Now, search for the option of “Preference” and hit a click on it.
- A new one will open on your screen. Here, you have to find the option of “Security” and click on it.
- Now, find the Sandbox protection option and hit a click on it. Now, a new page will open where you have to find the option of “Enable Protected Mode at startup”. Click on it and proceed to next.
- Confirm that you are comfortable with the changes.
Hence, your Adobe settings are configured as per the requirement of Windows 10. This solution will solve your problem easily but if not then you can go for further solutions.
Update Adobe Reader and Acrobat
Companies generally provide updates for their apps after fixing the huge and adding new features.
The outdated version of Adobe Reader and Acrobat can also be a reason for not working PDF after the windows 10 update.
Now, let’s discuss how you can easily update them.
- Firstly, open the application (Adobe Reader or Acrobat).
- Once the app is open then click on the option of Help.
- An option of the update will also get shown in the drop-down list. So, click on it and proceed to next.
- Now, a pop-up will start showing on your screen which is regarding the update.
- So, click on “Update” and then download the newest version automatically.
- Once the app gets updates then restart your computer and check that the problem gets solved or not.
This is also a working way that can solve your problem of not opening PDF files in windows 10 after the update.
Check Damaged PDF files
If the PDF files are created with any malfunctioning programs, it may be possible that the PDF file will start creating problems on the opening.
In this situation, the file will not get opened in the PDF reader also. It is also possible that the file may attain some corrupted data. This can also be a reason that the PDF file is not opening on your computer.
Firstly, try to open the file but if the file does not get opened after continuous attempts and you also checked your driver and other system settings which may create a problem then ask the sender to resend the file.
You can also ask to resend the file in different formats. If the file is corrupted or damaged, it is impossible to open it and hence the only option available is to ask the sender to resend the file in a different format.
Go to previous versions of Adobe and Acrobat
Some files are created differently, creating problems in working according to the restrictions and standards of the newest version of Acrobat and adobe.
The older versions of Adobe and Acrobat are not strict so you may also try to open the file in the older versions of Acrobat.
The standards and restrictions of the older versions of Acrobat and Adobe are reliable and lenient.
So, it may be possible that the file will open the old versions of Adobe and Acrobat. If this also does not work to open the PDF file in your windows 10 then go for further solutions.
Repair Adobe reader
If your PDF file is not open in Adobe reader then one of the reasons behind it is the availability of Damaged Acrobat or reader software.
To solve this issue you have to repair your Adobe Reader. Here, repairing leads to the installation of the newest version of Adobe Reader.
See the below steps to know how you can easily repair your Adobe Reader.
- Firstly, you have to open the search bar and search for the name of Adobe Reader.
- Now, find the option of “Help” and click on it.
- A drop-down list will start appearing on your screen. Select the option of repair installation and click on it.
- Now, Click on “Yes” and confirm that you want to install the repair of Adobe Reader.
Hence, your Adobe Reader will get repaired after some time.
Give a chance to Third-party tool
The above solution should solve your problem but if your problem does not get solved after applying all the solutions discussed above then you should try to give a chance to any third-party tool.
There are plenty of applications that are available online. One of the best third-party applications Is FileViewer Explorer.
This application is one of the best third-party applications which can easily open 300 different types of Files.
So, if anything is not working for you then prefer a good and reliable third-party application to open the file.
So, we’ve discussed the major solutions which help you to open the PDF file in your windows 10 after the update. Now, let’s discuss some important questions which are asked by the people.
How to install a PDF viewer in Windows 10?
If you want to install a PDF viewer then follow the steps which are listed below:-
- Firstly, you have to visit the official website of PDF reader or PDF viewer. Use this link https://smallpdf.com/download/windows to directly visit the website if PDF reader.
- Now, click on the option of download and wait until the file gets downloaded.
- Now, click to install and the file will start the installation process on your windows computer.
Hence, open the application and enjoy all the services of other PDF viewers in your windows.
Free PDF reader for Windows 10 except Adobe?
There are plenty of PDF readers for Windows 10 which are available online. So, let’s discuss some of them below:-
This is one of the best Free PDF readers which acts like Google Docs for the PDF file. Here you can easily read, Share, Create and customize the PDF files easily.
The interface of this PDF reader is easy to understand. It provides various safety features like privacy settings, passwords, etc so that your file gets protected.
Javelin PDF reader is also a reliable platform or a PDF reader application where you can use PDF viewer services easily. In this application you can edit the PDF, this application is available only for PDF viewing. Those who want to read the notes quickly should use the Javelin PDF reader.
Google Drive is one of the most compatible platforms for storing and converting PDF files in different formats. This application is promoted by Google which is available in Google play store and Apple store.
So, we have discussed some most effective PDF readers except Adobe. You can easily download them. All the applications are free of cost and very effective.
Does Windows 10 come with a PDF reader?
Nope, Windows 10 doesn’t attain a separate PDF Reader but it attains an Edge Browser which is pre-loaded in the system of Windows.
This is not a PDF reader but all the PDF files can be accessed by the browser whenever required.
Otherwise, there are plenty of third-party applications which are free and available online.
What is the default PDF viewer in Windows 10 and how to change it?
In Windows 10, Microsoft Edge is recognized as a default application or Default PDF viewer in Windows 10. Let’s see the steps which show how to change it.
- Make a right-click on the PDF file and click the option of Properties.
- When the property box will open then find the option of change and click on it.
- Now, select the PDF reader which you want to change as Default.
- Now, click on OK, and hence the Default PDF reader will get changed.
If you again want to change the default PDF reader then you just have to repeat the step and select the app which you want to set as default.
More Articles On PDF